Tips and Books
The internet is a great source for many high quality and even free-of-charge guidelines for prospective game designers, graphic artists and programmers. It’s advisable to start with very simple exercises and increase the level of difficulty slowly.
- www.gamasutra.com is a great website for game designers.
- Game Architecture and Design
- Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design
- The Art of Game Design – A Book of Lenses
- Reality is Broken: Why Games Make Us Better and How They Can Change the World
There are also excellent beginner’s books for programmers. We only want to list a few of them:
After working through a preliminary book, you can move on to:
- Introduction to 3D-game programming with DirectX 9.0
- Effektiv C++ programmieren: 55 Möglichkeiten, Ihre Programme und Entwürfe zu verbessern
- Best of Game Programming Gems
There are sample versions of programming languages to familiarize with in advance. In the open source area, there is also excellent freeware available:
Here are some websites for prospective graphic artists:
Software Development in General
We recommend the following three classics: